Wednesday, January 20, 2021

WIP Wednesday - Fraktal sewalong

 



This kit and sewalong is collaboration between Modern Quilt Club and Paula Steel.  My friend Jane received her kit just before our November retreat and I was able to get a sneaky peek. The pattern is very well laid out and the price was good even including VAT so I made a pre-Christmas purchase. It arrived in a solid cardboard box so I have kept it in the box which makes it easy to see amongst my other WIPS.


I soon realised that there is a lot of cutting for this quilt so I cut the pieces between Christmas and new year whilst waiting for our January UFO to be chosen. I labelled the cut pieces with my alphabet pins and put the box away.


There are also a lot of half square triangles and flying geese units in this quilt so I started doing ten a day and trimming as I went. This week is cutting out week and I notice a lot of participants have started sewing their HSTs. Mine are all done.  Having mixed up two of the fabrics when cutting out I had to lay out the flying geese to check that I had the right numbers and I seem to be okay.


On Monday I decided to start sorting the flying geese units into bags for each steps. I got in such a muddle and appear to have missed cutting some long strips. I hoe I have enough fabric left otherwise I see another order in the near future from Sew Hot. The fabric used is Phospor by Libs Elliott. This morning I have sewn a few of the star blocks (four out of twelve) for which I have all of the pieces and I now need to work methodically through the pattern. I can then work out where I may have gone wrong and what extra fabric, if any, I need to order due to my mistakes.



I have made a nervous start quilting my tattoo quilt but I am only doing a little a day which could mea I don't finish it this month. Focus is what I need.

No comments: