Friday, January 01, 2021

Friday finish - Frankie T-shirt



I have had the book Stretch by Tilly Walnes for a while and my Singer overlocker (serger) for even longer. My son purchased me four cones of white and grey thread from Lidl a few years ago too and they have for the most part sat unloved. Not any more!!! My daughter is back from Uni and we needed some projects to keep her busy so we have purchased some knit fabrics locally and I also signed up for the Tilly Walnes "Getting to know your overlocker" course online which was released just after Xmas.

I have now finished the Frankie baseball T-shirt from the book using both my overlocker and my regular sewing machine. Apart from one little pucker in the neckline, the size and length are spot on and I now need to make a pair of shorts to make this in to a set of shortie pyjamas.



What I've learnt from this project and the course which I am only part way through:
  • Pre wash your fabric. It's quite clearly stated in the book but I forgot. Fortuitously our fabrics haven't shrunk.
  • label your overlocker thread channels to make set up easier. Done
  • we should have used a 5/8" seam allowance and I have now marked our machine with tape as a guide.
Now to wait patiently for some more fabric that we ordered on Boxing Day. In the meantime I need to perfect using a twin needle on my Bernina.

No comments: