Friday, May 01, 2020

Freebie Friday - YouTube video for rope bowls



I am just a little bit addicted to YouTube instructional, Flosstube and knitting videos. I have wanted to make a rope bowl since seeing the lovely ones made by Instagrammers Sewsweetviolet and Stitchmischief. I did a search on YouTube and found these tutorials  Very clear and I am happy with my first basket. However the clothesline that I bought in Akureyri in Iceland is made by Dritz and described as Premium Clothesline. Hmm. I was not impressed with the quality.


Through researching the subject and trial and error, I found out the following:
* You need 3/16" x 100ft cotton covered rope. I will be googling more supplies today.

* Use up your random bobbins of thread if you like the random rainbow look.

* My tab was 1" by 2" and I used my seam ripper to put the holes in the pleather and then I handstitched it with Aurifil Mako 12 in colour 4660


* I wanted straight sides and started curving at 8" but the basket ended up being 12" in diameter. And to get the straight sides I elevated my machine so as to be able to have the sides flat on the bed of the machine.  Sew slowly. Holding the basket upwards didn't achieve the straight sides I wanted.








No comments: