Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Work in Progress Wednesday - Tula Pink butterfly




You might be forgiven for not having seen this WIP before as I completed it during a sewalong in 2016 and then packed it away. This is my UFO #3 for our group UFO challenge and even though the number hasn't yet been chosen, I think it's a good idea to get ahead whilst I have all the time in the world.




I had made a mental note that I needed to swap some blocks around, however when I looked at it a few days ago, nothing was obvious other than two of the blue striped blocks had the stripes going horizontally and the other two vertically. I couldn't have that so I unpicked the blocks and sewed them with all of the stripes going vertically. 


On Monday I pressed and loaded the backing and then the wadding. I had forgotten how big this quilt is. Fortunately the pattern was in the bag with the top, backing and two spare blocks, so I referred to the pattern when cutting my wadding. I hope I didn't go off piste and make the quilt longer than the pattern. I love the Ex Libris fabric that I used for the top and bottom borders, but I hope it isn't my undoing!


The reason which this has languished so long is I wanted to custom quilt this quilt as the pattern is magnificent but I haven't yet developed my free motion quilting skills. I decided a couple of months ago that I would do an edge 2 edge design of curves and butterflies. Theoretically the quilting shouldn't take too long to finish. I haven't installed my new tablet yet on my long arm as I think that's better done when I have a small quilt to practise on. The next quandary is what binding to use?

No comments: