Wednesday, October 07, 2020

WIP Wednesday - TQS BOM

 



I started 2020 with this project part pieced and number 2 in my Guild's UFO challenge. I am now down to three projects to complete for the challenge, but this number was chosen some months ago. However, I did get it pieced during the correct month and it has been a slow process of removing the foundation papers form the reverse.




I made several rookie errors which have contributed to making this process lengthier:
  1. The pattern had you machine around each applique shape to aid positioning. Thiss adds an extra line of stitching holding down the paper
  2. In areas I followed the pattern and used a glue pen, so those areas need to be damp to remove the papers
  3. Some areas I used regular photocopier paper and even sellotape. What was I thinking!!



Added to this all of the applique is blanket stitch so it really holds onto the paper. However the applique does look good. One good thing I did was to keep a separate box of threads for the project and I had written the stitch length and width on my sample which was also in the box of threads.


I laid out the quilt earlier this week and the end is in sight. I have almost finished taking out the paper from the blocks with the yellow background, then I need to check all of the seam allowances for rogue pieces of paper, fix a couple of seams that popped when the paper was removed, and then repress ready for quilting. This is my oldest UFO from 2012, so it will be exciting to get it finished.

I plan to get the top ready to be pressed and then put it aside to work on this month's UFO. I have blocked off a week from client work so I can finish the Hoffman Dream Big panel. 

No comments: