Monday, October 12, 2020

Monday Make - Alaska Rainbow

 


When I saw this stunning quilt on Instagram by Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts I was smitten. I bought the pdf pattern from Edyta and then ordered the templates and one FQ from Sew Hot. Whilst waiting for the templates, I printed out the pattern and set up one of my files with the instructions and block instructions. The block instructions are printed two to a page, so I cut them apart and put each block in its own sleeve. My plan is to add the cut pieces to each sleeve as I cut the fabric each week.


I have added scraps of my fabric choices to the cutting instructions and thought I was very clever to have worked out my choices for the first half of the blocks. However Edyta has planned the sewalong schedule very well and we are doing the blocks in order of difficulty. This week we are sewing blocks 1 and 3. Unfortunately it look like next week we will need the pink which I haven't quite sourced yet.



I am pleased with the two background fabrics I picked from stash. I mainly buy Fat Quarters, so was surprised to find sufficient of the cream dot but I will need another background fabric as I don't have enough of the Cotton & Steel for the whole quilt. If I can work it out, I will use the Cotton and Steel for the outer blocks and have a different fabric for the inner blocks.


It is pleasing to be able to source most of the fabrics from stash but also eye opening to see that my stash is deficient in reds and pinks. My plan, which I have added into my Todoist app, is to cut fabrics on Friday when the block numbers are announced and then sew the two blocks on Sunday. So far I have cut up to fabric 10. I now need to choose the rest of my fabrics before Friday.

No comments: