Monday, October 19, 2020

Monday make - T-shirt quilt

 

I am so pleased to have finished this T-shirt quilt for a client. I have been asked numerous times and have said no, but with this customer, that it was the right thing to do. I asked for the T-shirts to be washed, pressed and the fronts cut of so as not to incur extra costs and some of the T-shirts were discarded before arriving with me. I knew the first job was to apply iron on interfacing to stabilise the fabric. I sorted through the T-shirts first and grouped them by width / size.


I then sewed them into vertical strips having put them on my design wall and done some maths on a scrap of paper. I kept to the length of the middle strip an worked from there. A few of the strips were too long so the blocks needed to be shortened and this approach worked well. A quick trip to my local quilt shop and I sourced a wide baking - Basic Grey purple Grunge and the quit was loaded onto my long arm. I had read that a ball point needle was recommended and I had then had to wit a couple of days for them to arrive. I then stitched in the ditch around all of the blocks. The middle column was too wide for my long arm so I finished those blocks on my Bernina.


For the binding I use the wrong side of the backing so it looks like a solid and I will be contacting the client today to arrange pick up for tomorrow.

At our Jersey Modern Quilt Group on Saturday, we held our AGM, it was decided to proceed with our local retreat in three weeks time. This is dependent on Covid cases not rising and groups being allowed to continue to meet. It will be different as we will have to adapt, but everyone is looking forward to three days of uninterrupted sewing and our friend Michelle's delicious food. I will be working on my Tattoo Quilt and Alaska rainbow at the retreat unless they are finished in the next three weeks. Very unlikely!!




No comments: