Friday, September 04, 2020

Freebie Friday - chain piecing nine patch blocks for #scrappysummersal2020


I thought I would share with you today, my system for piecing the nine patch blocks for the #scrappysummersal2020 Pattern by The Homebody. I start by laying out multiple blocks on my home made design boards (tutorial by Lori Holt). These are so useful and I have them in multiple sizes from 12" to 18". I even pack a couple in my suitcase when I go on a sewing retreat.


I then take the top middle square and place it on the top left hand square and stitch a quarter inch seam to the right of the squares. Without cutting the thread (essential), I then add the pair from the second row and then the third row. 

Then I repeat for a second block. I then cut off the first set of three.



I then repeat the same process to add the remaining square for each row. In my example the turquoise block is always in the middle column and if it's not, just turn the set 180 degrees. Remember not to cut the threads yet.



Your set of three rows will then look like this, joined by threads.


I press my seams open for ease.


Then it's time to stitch the rows together and because we haven't cut the threads, they should still be in the correct order.


Now is the time to cut the threads which are little loops at the top of each column. I keep the rows right sides together and cut the loops. I then press the seams open again.


I now have all of my 100 blocks sewn and on my design wall ready to piece together. If I focus today on just this project, it should be ready for quilting this weekend. I have five large quilts to quilt for a customer so my plan is to quilt them during the working week and quilt my own projects at the weekend. Let's see how that pans out.


 

No comments: