Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Wednesday WIP - TQS BOM 2012 Sedona Star


The fabric for this quilt was purchased in 2011 from The Fat Quarter Shop and stalled because I didn't like the technique for the points surrounded by the green. It is applique and I had expected it to be foundation pieced. It has been in one drawer in my sewing room for the entire time so everything was together.


Some progress had been made on the project over the last few years and I had most of the appliqué blocks with the pink surround stitched to the centre. This was chosen as the Group challenge project for April 2020 so I have cracked on with it, working at least one hour every day.


Yesterday I bordered the whole centre with the pieced border, but was dismayed that I didn't appear to have all of the blocks made for the final border. However when pulling out the four corners necessary to turn the circle into a square, the final square in a square blocks surfaced from inside the folded corner applique blocks. Happy dance.


So today I have spent the morning adding the corner blocks to the centre, which went quicker and better than I had expected. Then I finished stitching the borders together and added one border to the square quilt top. I am excited to get the piecing finished. Then I need to press the whole and remove al of the foundation papers, which is going to be a mammoth task. I have removed papers from a few sections, but I need to go over those blocks with tweezers to remove all of the foundation paper. I think that could take a few days.

Then I need to either fix or get my long arm fixed so I can quilt this mammoth quilt. I wonder what my oldest UFO will be once this is finished?

No comments: