Monday, April 20, 2020

Monday Make - hello friend cushion

I purchased the Hello Friend pattern from Sewhot.co.uk and decided to make it for my daughter who is still in the UK, not Jersey. Her bedroom is being decorated and I thought a new cushion would be lovely. First I stash dived for the focus fabric which is in Lizzie's favourite Tiffany blue. This fabric was from a friend's destash and is Domestic Bliss by Liz Scott. Then I found some leftover Kona now from another project and the pink fabric was still on my table from my TQS BOM 2012 so I was almost good to go. I redrafted the pattern to read Lizzie rather than friend which only needed a "Z" to be drawn.

The foundation piecing went quickly and then I cut the pieces for the speech bubble and background. I have recently organised most of my Aurifil spools by colour so I found colour 1148 was just the ticket for blue background. I started the quilting before lunch and was going to quilt around all of the letters which would have been 24 ends to be sewn in so decided to do half inch spaced horizontal lines in Aurifil.


This is a 20" pillow so I had to find half a yard of fabric for the backing of the cushion. I tend to buy Fat Quarters but I found this Lizzy House Constellations which worked well. I used poppers for the closure in hot pink bought in Berlin from Frau Tulpe.















I now have a completed cushion apart from the cushion pad. I am not sure that I would do the faux piping again. It looks more like a faux binding and a regular binding would have been quicker.


This was my second finish of last week from a week spent focussing on one project per day. I may do the same again for another week depending on whether a fabric order arrives or we get my long arm working again without having to ship it to the UK.



No comments: