Monday, November 23, 2020

Monday Make - Minki Kim 30 minute pencil case

 


Several warning about this lovely pattern. 1. Do not use directional fabric as the outside of the case is all one fabric. fortunately I had selected my fabrics to make two of the pencil cases at Jersey Modern Quilt Group on Saturday but not cut the pieces ready.


2. It took me a lot longer than 30 minutes to make them, possibly because I was constantly jumping up to rewind the video which we displayed on our new venue's Powerpoint screen which assisted with the social distancing.



Fortunately my stash has a linen section as Minki Kim suggests using linen and I was soon able to fin these two lovely fabrics screen printed by Helen Steele, matching stripes in my stripe bin and two 8" zips.


I cut all of the pieces and applied the interfacing at home with my heavier duty iron.



I even found matching ribbons. However the zipper on the red case is orientated for a left handed person but it was too late once I realised. The video shows both left and right handed zippers with no explanation so don't make the same mistake as me.


I love the fish with the wording in it. Nicholas Ball is doing a sewalong with his improv fish and I think I'd like to intersperse some printed and embroidered fish.


Video by Minki Kim is here
Fabric by Helen Steele can be purchased either at Sew Hot  or direct from Helen here.








No comments: