Monday, August 12, 2019

Summer Book Club quilt along #sbcqal



The Summer book club sewalong started ten weeks ago using the Taller Tales patterns sold by Kate Basti on Etsy. I pulled al of my Tula Pink animals and a scrap of The Princess and the Pea fabric from Sew Hot. I then also pulled my Alison Glass text fabrics and plain cottons for the binding of each book. By using some similar fabrics in each block, I hoped that a cohesiveness would ensue. The background is Kona snow.


I made an initial block with the Princess and the Pea fabric but soon realized that it wouldn’t work wit the animals by Tula Pink. I will probably use that book as a pocket on a book bag in the future.

I then enthusiastically started making my blocks and photographing them but didn’t really keep up with posting the photographs. However last weekend I pulled all of my blocks made so far and made some extras to make a small baby quilt. I found it best to only make one block at a time as otherwise my plain fabrics got muddled. Each block didn’t take very long to make.





I put the finished blocks on my design wall, which really needs to be defluffed and pieced the small quilt row by row, working out what size of sashing was required for the wider blocks to work with the original blocks. The next blocks to go on my design wall are my #100days100blocks2019 blocks.


I then quilted the finished piece on my long arm with a multicoloured thread and a butterfly pantograph. What binding to use. A friend suggested lime green, but that was ever an option for me, so I brought out the striped fabrics I ha bought at the Festival of quits the previous weekend. In the end I chose the fabric with the most cream in it so as not to take attention away from the quilt and its piecing.

I now have a finished baby quilt ready for gifting and it’s time to share it on Instagram in the next few days in line with the sewalong schedule.



The backing was in my stash and just the right size as was the wadding. I machined the binding to the front and back as a baby quilt needs to be washable.




1 comment:

Izzy said...

Such a fun quilt finish! Congrats! On behalf of the 2019 FAL hosts, thank you so much for playing along with us this quarter!