Friday, August 16, 2019

UFO Friday - Improv quilt

Improv is very much out of my comfort zone. I like straight lines and the maths of quilting. However I did go to a London MQG workshop with Krista Hennebury (poppyprint on Instagram) I liked the way Krista gave us 30 minutes or so to complete each stage and we were restricted to three colours - I chose black white and red.

The blocks and strips from the workshop have been marinating. I have tried before to make it into something but it just wasn't working for me. however earlier this week I decided I needed to have a larger improv block in the centre of the piece. I then chopped it into four unequal quarters and inserted two of my strips from the class. Then I started going around the piece making blocks into strips and then adding them log cabin style around my central block.


I wasn't sure at this stage whether I was making a floor cushion or a mini quilt. I decide to just quilt the piece with straight irregularly spaced lines. The quilting starts with mainly black lines at the top, graduates into red and then becomes mostly white at the bottom. I think the quilting works and doesn't distract too much from the improv piecing.


I spent ages looking through my stash for backing as a Fat Quarter wasn't quite big enough but I found this print which I had a yard of and the colours go with the quilt top. I think I bought this at the Fabric Guild in Leicester about 8 years ago when Matt went to Welbeck DSFC for an interview. I abandoned the rest of the family at a space museum and went with Lizzie Allen and Heart of Charnwood to Fabric Guild.


I found the red and white striped binding in my stash too, so a very economical piece, apart from the trip to London to attend the workshop. It is now ready for my husband to hang it in our kitchen which is white, grey black and red.


Next I want to piece together my #100days100blocks but my sewing room is next to my adult daughter's bedroom and she is suffering with an horrendous ear infection so I am trying to be considerate.

No comments: