Wednesday, January 09, 2013

The three sisters quick and easy Indian cookbook review





This book is published by Simon and Schusster and was provided to me for this review. The cover of the book is pink and turquoise with gold embossing which is immediately appealing. The photography is gorgeous and makes your mouth water. I was keen to dip into the book.

I was intrigued to try some of the recipes of this book as I have never really cooked a curry from scratch. After choosing two recipes, the first job was to purchase the spices. I was pleasantly surprised find that Waitrose stocked all the items necessary for the Goan fish curry and the Rajasthani chicken strips.

The book is divided into 10 chapters and starts with an explanation of how to be quick and easy. When making the Goan fish curry I made the mistake of not preparing the garlic and ginger paste beforehand which took longer than expected.

Not being used to spicy food, it would have been useful if each recipe had been rated from mild to very hot. I did leave out the whole chilli from both recipes. The Goan fish curry was delicious and there was plenty of leftover sauce so on the following day I baked some salmon in the oven topped with the leftover sauce which was also delicious.





The Rajasthani chicken was easy to cook having already prepared the garlic and ginger paste, however it was too hot for my taste even with the whole chilli omitted.




This is a lovely book for beginners and experienced curry cooks alike with full colour photographs of all recipes. I do feel it would benefit from an indicator of spiciness for each recipe. If you like it hot, you'll love this book.

No comments: