Friday, June 16, 2023

Fabric Friday - Confident capsule collection



Confident Capsule Collection is an online class with Sew Confident Glasgow. I participated in their week long Facebook challenge which gave me the confidence to book along with 120 others. Some have participated in earlier capsule collections, some are beginners, many live in Scotland. It will be an interesting mix of mainly ladies. Last night was the first online class / sewalong but I will be sewing other projects whilst listening to the class. The class is recorded for you to rewind and rewatch as necessary and as many times as you need.


Last Monday a box of goodies arrived from Sew Confident weighing 6.7 kilos according to the manifest. when signing up to the package, you can decide between cool or warm or let them choose at random. All of the fabrics, patterns and accessories are provided so as to make up a capsule collection. I think there are only two fabrics that are different between the cool and warm options.

On Monday, I started the process of prewashing all of the fabrics. Each pattern went into its own A3 clear zipped pouch along with the relevant accessories and threads. The only thing I needed to add was the Swedish Tracing paper from Pattern Trace. I had a minor panic that I didn't have a second roll, but it appears that I have two spare rolls.



I'm not sure of the order of the makes but we are starting with the Harmony top - all patterns are by StyleArc. The warm palette is a fabric with oranges on it. I have traced the pattern and plan to make a toile to ensure it fits.


The Blaire shirt has a lot of ease so won't need a toile and is made from silver dotted double gauze. On my first look I thought it was gold dots but it's silver, which pleases me more. If this fits well, I can see a couple more being made for the summer.


The accessory pattern is the Eena bag by Studio 7t7 whose challenge I participated in last week. The premade strap is interesting, but gold and I don't like the fabrics at all, so I might try using some of the denim if there's any left. I'm used to No 5 zips to so will swap everything about the bag.


The Rona Wrap skirt is a faux wrap and I will be interested to see if it suits my shape. The fabric is a dark navy. Jenny of Sew Confident does a cutting out video for each pattern which is useful.


When you sign up you see the shape of all the garments that you're making. This was the one item, I knew I wouldn't make, too fitted and strappy. I am sure it would look lovely on my daughter so I will be passing this along with the fabric as I wouldn't use the green linen/ cotton mix.


The biggest challenge with yards of lovely denim is the Carlisle jean and Stevie Jean jacket. Jenny chose a lighter weight denim so that it could be successfully sewn on domestic machines, but it was a huge weight to wash and put on the airer to dry.


Lastly is the Rhea knit top which I think will be an early stitch. It is higher in the front than the back with a three-quarter length sleeve. We also have Gutterman Maraflex to try. I have used it before but hadn't realised you need to have it in the bobbin too!!

This is an interesting concept and I'm looking forward to participating. The difficult bit for m is choosing the size and making any alterations first before rushing to cut the fabric.



 

No comments: