Monday, June 01, 2020

Monday Make - Alison Glass #miniseriessal



 I had sewn all of these fiddly blocks up several months ago and had a plan of what I wanted to use the finish project for - bedside table topper. However the table is not square and measures 18.5" by 24.5" so I knew that I would need borders. I resorted to pencil and paper to work out the maths and it was a quick sew earlier last month to piece the centre of the mini quilt.



Time to double check my maths. Yes it did agree to my scribbles. Now to work on the extra borders. That took some time. I shared the PDF of my border design last month. Unfortunately it's not a design, like regular flying geese, where you can piece it in sections and then sew the border together, so it was a little time consuming.




I was pleased with my choice of borders and made the whole mini quilt slightly bigger than I needed as it tends to shrink once quilted. I tested out the flange to add a bit of interest between the quilt and binding.







I had already submitted my finished quilt top photo for the sewalong but decided yesterday to focus on finishing the project. I was slightly nervous as I have recently upgraded the software for my long arm, but it wasn't too difficult. Trying a new to me thread was a step too far so I reverted to Superior Threads King Tut in the colour granite - a medium grey.


I love the texture that this pantograph gives - Chevron edge to edge by Christy Dillon. The benefit of this pattern is it has eleven rows joined together so there were only three starts and stops.




Patterns by @GuicyGuice for alisonglass.com
Fabric:
Vintage silver from Oakshott Fabrics for the background
Patterned fabric by Alison Glass including this colourful fabric used for the flange


No comments: