Wednesday, June 17, 2015

It's all about the cake

Last weekend we were in London and on Saturday we met a tour group at Covent Garden for a cupcake and macaron tour. We were guided by the lovely and enthusiastic George. There were tastings at every stop and even better we got a 2 for 1 through National Rail. Do you want to come on a tour with us?
 

Just follow George into Covent Garden.


The first stop was Laduree in Covent Garden, we all squashed into the small shop as George collected a bag of macarons.

 
I'm not sure what flavour my macaron was but there was no definite flavour. Lizzie had chocolate and said it was lovely. We headed to the nearby church yard where we were regaled with interesting facts. There were surplus macarons so one lucky lady won a box of three and a bag for being first to answer a food question. The answer was Punch & Judy which apparently originated in Covent Garden.

 
The tour website said we would stop at Lorraine Pascale's bakery, but apparently that closed over a year ago, so the next stop was BB Bakery where George bore our lovely strawberry cupcakes on a fancy cake tier. we were warned to grab our sample quickly as passers by have been known to take one. BB Bakery also do double decker bus and boat tours with afternoon tea.
 
 
Next we headed to Leicester Square, into China Town and then into Soho which is an area I don't know. This trip we tried to not do our usual route of Marble Arch to Regent Street, Leicester Square and Covent Garden and enjoyed our trip more for doing that.
 
 
In Soho we ate at the Hummingbird Bakery and had a full size red velvet cupcake. I know they are very popular, but I don't really see the attraction. I'd rather have something zesty, so on to the next stop.

 
Yauatcha is a Michelin starred restaurant and a welcome comfort stop. I chose a yuzu macaron here which I kept for later. Unfortuantely it had a chocolate filling which rather overpowered the yuzu shell. Beautiful displays though and George's favourite stop on the tour.
 
The website also said we'd stop at Patisserie Valerie which I wasn't looking forward to with any excitement, but again the website hadn't been updated and we stopped in Carnaby Street at the relatively new Crumbs and Doilies. Owner Jemma came outside the shop to tell us about that day's flavours and the history of the shop.

 
I chose a key lime pie mini cupcake, very nice. I even bought Gemma's book to immerse myself in later.
 
 
We headed through Burlington Arcade to Fortnum & Mason - our last stop. Have you ever spotted the Chanel cipher on the lamp posts in Westminster. Now we know the story of unrequited love and a public demonstration of that love. I had never been in Fortnum & Mason before so this was a new stop to me. Here I chose a salted caramel macaron to eat later.
 
 
 
 
You may be surprised that  we didn't put any weight on last weekend, though today could be a challenge. To celebrate the WI's centenary we are having an afternoon tea at Government House. each WI has been asked to contribute sandwiches and a cake. I have to make cake for 24 (i.e. two cakes) - one for Hel's belles WI's contribution and one for my contribution as a Board of Trustees member. I decided to try out the Malteser cupcakes from Jemma's book. Each recipe makes 24 cupcakes. I have loads of icing left so may make some more for Father's Day afternoon tea with the family.


 
I have kept one cake back for Lizzie to try. But should I have stuck with one Malteser or three? Three certainly covers up any icing technique shortcomings.


 
 
Time to put raspberry jam in my Victoria sponge and pack it ready to take to Government House where we are setting up at 11 am ready for a 3 pm start this afternoon. 
 
 

1 comment:

Jane said...

Never been to Fortnum and Masons! My fathers favourite shop.