Saturday, April 11, 2015

Planning another Siblings Together quilt

I've been so inspired by all of the quilts that I've been seeing, that I decided to plan another inspired by two tops by NickyShe.

 
My month in our Guild bee isn't until August, but I thought I'd be prepared, just in case someone needs to swap months. It's also a good procrastination excuse.
 
If you'd like to make one or more of these blocks for yourself or my Siblings Together quilt, the instructions are as follows 

Please make one or more of these 12” blocks (finished). Unfinished size is 12.5” Use tones of any one colour in each block. This will be made into a charity quilt for a child, so anything goes – bright is good, no pastels, grey, brown or black please.
 

Cut:
White or white on white         Six 2.5” squares
Fabric A                                  10.5” x 2.5” strip
Fabric B                                  2.5” square
                                                8.5” x 2.5” strip
Fabric C                                  4.5” x 2.5” strip
                                                6.5” x 2.5” strip
Fabric D                                  4.5” x 2.5” strip
                                                6.5” x 2.5” strip
Fabric E                                   2.5” square
                                                8.5” x 2.5” strip
Fabric F                                   10.5” x 2.5” strip

 
With reference to the picture, sew each fabric to either side of a white square. Press seams open. Then sew the six rows together. Press seam open again. If your block won’t lie flat – press and place a square ruler on top of the block – the steam and weight will help make the block lie flat.
 
 
I also need half of the blocks with the white squares going top left to bottom right with horizontal strips, so please feel free to make one or more of those instead.
 
 
 
I love the quilts Nicky made as they are graphic and striking but use simple 2.5" strips which you can use from jelly roll scraps or in my case I started with strips I swapped with other attendees at Fat Quarterly Retreat.
 



No comments: