Monday, September 22, 2014

Moda Modern Building Blocks Sewalong - fabric choices

Moda Modern Building Blocks Sewalong


I have been trying to catch up with client quilts and September commitments so I pulled out my pattern again last night. Fortunately I didn't have to look too far as I hadn't put it away. I am replacing the plain fabrics with patterned fabrics - but mainly tone on tone and the eggshell background with a selection of low volume fabrics, so my first point of reference was the last page of the finishing instructions handout.

 
My first pull of low volume fabrics was literally what I had to hand. However the requirements list says we'll need three yards of eggshell.
 
 
So next I looked in my basket of white fabrics and also picked out some very pale greys from another basket. That gave a lot more variety.
 
 
In the end I narrowed my choice by taking out the Sweetwater fabric and the cream and red print and I'm pleased with what I ended up with - a mixture of texty prints, some old favourites  and new purchases at FoQ.
 
 
 Next is my pick of coloured fabrics including lots of Basic Grey grunge fabrics from a prize from Blue Nickel Studios, bike tracks, pearl bracelets and Cotton & Steel. I have replaced the browns in the pattern with greys from Cotton & Steel and Zen Chic.
 
 
And I will add in some scraps from my scrap bags where possible. They are sorted into this big basket in a bag for each colour. I regularly dip into the bags to add fabrics to a project but the bags don't seem to decrease in volume. I have to finish my Avitrix quilt and there will be more scraps to add into the mix.
 

Come back on 20 October to share your first four blocks - I will be making blocks 1,5,6 and 7 so I can make the B section. I will also post on a Monday with any tips I've encountered whilst making my blocks. Do leave me a link to your blog post about your fabric choices or a Flickr photo.
 

No comments: