Friday, June 14, 2024

Winter mystery cushion

 


Whilst waiting for the Sewalong for the Kimberbell Ginger's Kitchen bench pillow to start over at Cristin Creates Facebook Group, this mystery sewalong was highlighted from two years ago. I was very surprised to find that I had purchased the digital download a few months ago for that cute penguin face.



Cristin gives very detailed instructions on Youtube as well as a cutting guide for each block. This project was intended as a stash buster and that's exactly what I've done. I had picked out fabrics for the bench pillow and used those along with others from stash including some oldie but goodies from Alison Glass, Sweetwater, Tula Pink, Aneela Hoey, Kate Spain and more. I have realised that whilst I have lots of low volume fabrics I am missing white on white fabrics so I will add that to my Festival of Quilts shopping list.

The double pinwheel block is from another collection called Lucky Us. I think this pillow needs to go on my 2025 UFO challenge list. I was pleased that I chose to use triangles instead of rectangles to piece the large triangles as I was able to get the wording the right way up on all of the blades.


Cristin issues small challenges for each block and the challenge for the snowflake block was to not use cotton for the snowflake block - instead I used some faux leather from a Sew Quirky mystery box.


The panel is now ready to turn into a cushion. Instead of purchasing new quilting designs, I used some basic designs and I particularly like the clamshells on the four patch block on the top row.


The first video for the Ginger's Kitchen bench pillow was released a few hours ago and I have assembled my materials. I don't have light tan felt or mylar so I have made some substitutions. I am using the reverse of some pink cork instead of felt and some shiny fabric from Sew Quirky instead of mylar. I used the same fabric for the skate blades on the penguin in the Winter cushion.



No comments: