Friday, December 06, 2019

Scrap bag sampler - sorting your scraps

Do you love a good sewalong but don’t want to commit to another large quilt, spend the £s on a pattern or buy more fabric? Then this is the sewalong for you. We are going to use the scraps that we have accumulated and make small blocks every week to make a panel for a bag. These small blocks are perfect as a leader and ender project and to try out new techniques. Think of it as a spring clean for your scraps.

The sewalong will commence on Friday 10 January, but join us on Instagram today to see how we each organize our scraps (or not).


I have had a simple system for several years which I shared at our Modern Quilt Group. My system was that I stored my scraps by colour in a plastic bag in a basket. I blame Sue (@cotefleurie) who improved on my system by pressing her scraps. Miraculously they take up half the volume when pressed so I had to follow suit. I also have separate baskets for Xmas, Alison Glass, Kona and Tula Pink scraps. For an ongoing project I store all scraps with the project. I am in the process of finishing my HST BOM using an Elizabeth Hartman FQ stack and as they are already together, I am going to use them for this project.



My system was very useful or the recent snowflake sewalong with Modern Handcraft as I could just pick out the bag of turquoise scraps and use my Accuquilt to cut the scraps into squares and triangles.


No comments: