Monday, February 11, 2019

Awesome Ocean mini quilt

You know that I love a good sewalong and quickly jumped on the Elizabeth Hartman sewalong organised by Gnome Angel over on Instagram. Unfortunately the sewalong stalled due to ill health and my progress stalled too.

I had lots of blocks sewn but nothing put together. Our Wednesday morning quilt group had a Christmas challenge t make a small quilt to go into shoe boxes for Romania. I didn't win the challenge, however I realised I could put some of the blocks together and tha would make an etra mini quilt to donate.

With a purpose for the quilt, I decided to start with the blocks from the pattern Awesome Ocean. All of the blocks had low volume backgrounds but I chose a plain white for the sashing. Once the various sashings and borders were cut, it was quick to put together.


A quick look in the cupboard in the room my long arm is in and I found a piece of Bitten by Ikea tht was just the right size, quickly loaded it onto my long arm and two passes using a pantograph called Froze by Anne Bright and it was ready for binding. Such a myriad of colours meant that it had to be a rainbow stripe to bring together the assorted colours.  I machined down the binding as it will well used.



I do love a striped binding and keep all of my multicolored stripes together. My husband and I are planning a return to Pour L'amour du Fil quilt show in Nantes in April so I will be on the look out for more striped fabric, amongst other things.

No comments: