Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Simply Solids retreat - secret sewers




Our mission for this swap was to stalk a fellow retreater whose name we had been given by Pippa and make three gifts for her. The smallest to be given on Friday, a medium size gift on Saturday and the final larger gift on Sunday when we would reveal ourselves.

 
I was lucky that my recipient was on the next set of tables to us, so I could drop my gift on her table when she was distracted or absent from the room. I made this Kilner jar pin cushion before finding out that a similar class was being run at the retreat. The first gift didn't get much of a reaction which had me worried.


The second gift delighted Iris and I heard her say that she loved the fabric. I wasn't the only swapper to make the goody goody binding bag. Free pattern here.

 
My final gift which was also made from Indelible which I purchased from Cotton Patch was a Super Tote by Noodlehead. Many Noodlehead patterns were made for this swap. I used Soft & Stable instead of interfacing and it makes a sturdy bag but is expensive. I would have happily kept this bag for myself. Iris seemed delighted with the gift when she found it under her table, an hour after putting in there.
 
And the gifts I received were all delightful. Gill stalked me well. I received an orgy of Bonnie & Camille/ Apparently I was difficult to sew for as I made every item Gill was considering. My first gift was a charming needle case with a yarn charm and some needles.

 
Then I received a lovely scissor case with some Bonnie & Camille fabric. Perfect.
 
 
One of my gifts was also wrapped in a FQ of Bonnie & Camille. All of the Bonnie & Camille goodies will go straight into my basket dedicated to Bonnie & Camille. Hmm. I am making a basket pattern at the moment using scraps of Bonnie & Camille so I might add these into the mix.
 

 
And just when you thought it didn't get any better than that, a bag to fit my A5 Filofax into. Apparently Gill got some funny looks when she went to Paperchase to take some measurements. A perfect set of gifts. Thank you once again Gill.
 
 
The blue snips are very useful and are the same ones Jane added to her second gift. I must put them in my tool pouch for today's all day sewing session.
 



And just as you thought I'd finished, here are some photos of other people's gifts:

 
We put all of the gifts on a table to admire.  Jane received chicken themed gifts from Helen. we sussed that out early as the gift appeared after she came to chat with us.
 

Jacqui made these lovely items from a not yet released fabric line from art Gallery Fabrics. The bag is a Craftsy pattern apparently.







 
Many wished they had participated as each and every gift had been carefully thought out and beautifully made.
 
Maria had to buy orange fabric for her recipient Jenny who loves orange.
 
 
Come back tomorrow when I will show you the contents of the very generous goody bag.

No comments: