Monday, January 21, 2019

Lone Star - first finish of 2019

In January 2018, I challenged the members of Jersey Modern Quilt Guild to finish their oldest WIP and bring it along to the January 2019 meeting last weekend. It is a stunning design that needed to be finished. So I worked on it last week and it was ready for the meeting with two other UFOs. Many members had got out their oldest UFO, reevaluated it and put it back in the cupboard.

Most of the quilt was done when I pulled it out of the bag. It had faltered as I didn't like the foundation piecing technique demonstrated in the class which used freezer paper. Luckily I had all of the fabric still in the bag including sufficient of the navy fossil fern for the binding nd a small border. There was just one fabric that I ran out of in the corner foundation pieced blocks which I just substituted and moved on.




The quilt was then loaded on my machine before I broke my ankle in October and has remained thee untouched until January. following an operation, I didn't sleep for a week, so I needed to reestablish my sleep pattern, so that my brain was sufficiently clear to do justice to the quilt. I usually use computerised designs, but this is mostly free motion and ruler work.

There's nothing like jumping in at the deep end.


It is now finished and ready to enter into our local Eisteddfod in March. Though I still have a few other projects to finish for the show. The backing is an Elizabeth Hartman fabric for Robert Kaufmann in 108" wide for backings. 



I am now catching up on customer quilts so that I can quilt either my Christmas Trees quilt or my Violet Craft lion next. The Christmas Tree quilt needs a few more blocks sewn but would be a digital pantograph but the lion is free motion again. decisions, decisions.

No comments: