Friday, April 05, 2019

JMQG rainbow retreat 2019

We had a lovely local retreat last weekend and were well fed by chef, Michelle. we couldn't hold the retreat without her. Kim organised fantastic goody bags, which made our cheap retreat even better value. Our goody bags included:
Rotary cutter and blades from Driffy
Fabric and zips from Hantex
Magazine from LP&Q and Quilt Now
Scrap packs from Sew hot
Sample thread packs from Aurifil
Charm pack from Lewis & Irene
Brother goodies from Crafty Quilters



We also received handmade goodies:
Hexagon template and thread conditioner from Jersey Jane Sews on etsy
Our choice of screen printed panel from Helen Steel on etsy
Needle minder from Pippa
Personalised mug rug from Kim


We did a make & take with Gill on the Friday afternoon and made lavender bags. I had my copy of the Quilter's planner magazine with me but couldn't find it at the time to refer to. Probably just as well as there was a typo in one of the measurements.  I quilted my piece to add texture. Everyone made a lavender bag including chef Michelle. The we were free to ok on our own projects. I made progress with my Quietplay BOM but only finished one simple block.


After a bacon butty for breakfast, it was time to do some screen printing wit Helen. This is my design but the fabric that I printed still needs to be heat set.


Saturday was the Trinket Sal sew day so I competed the six or so blocks that I needed to complete my quilt top. I had pre prepped all of the blocks for speed.


Four of us participated in the Sew day but none of us seems to have won one of the hourly prizes. we did however get to chat to the designer, Alison Glass via FB messenger.


I am usually a lightweight when it comes to late night sewing at retreats but I stayed up until 11pm to get my trinket quilt top finished. I now need to remove the foundation papers, give it a press and quilt it.



Pippa did an impromptu make & take on the Saturday evening and we made magnetic needle minders. Even better the Quilt Now magazine from our goody bag had a template which was just the ight size to mark our fabric.



On Sunday I put together some quilt blocks from the Elizabeth Hartman sewalong and this will become another shoe box quilt for Romania. It need to be quilted this week. Then I just have desert blocks to put together.


A fantastic weekend with local, UK and French friends, fabulous goody bags, great food and two quilt tops finished ready to quilt. I may not have put away everything yet, but I hope to make progress before we head to London on Sunday to obtain visas for China.

No comments: