Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Vintage hexagons

I took some hexagons this morning to our quilt group. These are only 5/8 of an inch in size. I had left behind my stitchery at home so didn't have much to do this morning.




While stitching my hexagons Gladys pulled out a box which at one time had held ivory postcards from Harrods of London.




Imagine my surprise when she opened the box to find that the hexagons in the box were exactly the same size as I was working on.





These hexagons were prepared by a lady who has gone into a home and her daughter was clearing out the house. I am now the proud owner of a box of vintage hexagons some of which have already been sewn into hexagon flowers.

The fat quarterly retreat is being held in July next year in London. Last year we exchanged handmade items. I thought other ladies might like the small wall hanging from the pattern that I picked up at the knitting and stitching show last week. So I plan to make up some wallhangings from the small hexagons. Astra also had a small token hanging from her scissors to identify them and I thought I would make some using the hexagons too.





Does anyone know how to get that musty smell out of the fabrics without washing them?

No comments: