My very first quilt was made when I was a teenager, using fabric from Mum's stash and following instructions from a part work called Golden Hands. The quilt is still going strong but would offend the quilt police I'm sure. Fast forward thirty years and Issue 2 of Vignette showed a hexagon project. I knew I wanted to revisit hexagons, but not do a whole project so I have introduced it to our group - Caesarea Quilters as a summer project. I can confirm it's a perfect carry along project as we travelled to France last weekend and I worked on it on the boat. Ideal.
How did the techniques differ over 30 years? This quilt has embroidered hexagons scattered among the flowers. I decided to substitute the flower from the Block of the Month pattern as it is simplerer but the right size. I used a number of different threads but like the variegated green I bought in France the best. The hand sewing of the hexagons is still quick and therapeutic.
No laborious cutting and tacking of papers this time:
* The paper hexagons were cut using Sizzix die 656664 - 50 at a time
* I used freezer paper instead of scrap paper so I could iron the shapes to the fabric temporarily and then cut around leaving about a quarter of an inch
* I used the Sewline glue pen to stick down the seam allowance as suggested by Leanne. So quick.
In less than a week I have put together 1 block 2 and two blocks 1 with a few spare flowers and hexagons. I have shown Lorraine what to do and she is prepping for her trip to France. She is hoping her daughter will also help. A few CQ ladies are busy sewing the stitchery cream hexagons, so I hope we can make this a successful group project. All done using my Thimbleberries scrap basket so far.
Now I need to make progress on the Vignette BOM as I still have block 2 and 3 in progress and the latest magazine is out with three more blocks!!