Monday, July 14, 2014

Siblings Together Bee quilt - finished

Today is Monday and I leave for the Fat Quarterly Retreat on Thursday. Not even close to finishing it last minute in my book. I did decide to machine the binding instead of hand sewing as I hope that this quilt will be loved and well used by its recipient.

I did more preparation this time  for the binding to try and get a better result. Firstly I pressed the binding back from the front, which gave me time to check that there were no seam allowances issues on the front. Then I pressed the binding to the back. I've seen tutorials where the binding is glued to the back so I dug out some unloved 1/4" steam a seam tape which did the job very nicely, before stitching in the ditch from the front.
I dug into my scrap strip box to sew up a quick multi coloured binding to roughly match the fabrics the binding touched.

I used a simple pantograph called Allium that I've had for a while but not used before and it worked very well. Simple but it looks good.


Jo Jo said...

Sue, this is such a beautiful quilt and you have finished it so neatly! This one is going to be very popular :)

the running hare said...

Fab quilt Sue! It looks stunning. I have started using glue to help sew my bindings and I find it works well. I'm loving the family photos, keep 'em coming!

QuiltCandy said...

What a pretty rainbow quilt. It is going to be loved and treasured by someone.

Katy Cameron said...

Gorgeous rainbow, congrats on the finishes :o)