Monday, November 13, 2023

Monday Make - Kona mini quilt

Our local retreat this last weekend was cancelled due to Storm Ciaran and the damage the venue that we use had incurred. Fortunately we had already booked for February 2024, so we just rolled all of the arrangements back to February and have let our generous sponsors know. I decided to retreat from home instead and finish up some projects.


I had already quilted and trimmed two mini quilts, so they were quick finishes. This was a block from the 2024 Kona Block of the Month that I had seen promoted on Fat Quarter Shop's YouTube channel. I have plenty of Kona fabric and scraps which I thought would be perfect for sewing from stash.



I cut the half square triangles using my Accuquilt die cutting system, all ready to take to our retreat. I soon found when I was sewing at home, that I had used the background colour where I should have used the cream. Fortunately, I was retreating from home, so that was soon rectified.


I bound the quilt in the same orange fabric that I had used for the backing and even remembered to add my label to the back. I have almost used all of my printed labels so I need to look for another source for something similar.

Whilst working through my orange and red solid scraps, I have destashed quite a lot to give to my scrap loving friend. I have recently been feeling overwhelmed (some of it self-inflicted) and I realised that I didn't actually want to make a quilt from only plains and lots of half square triangles, so another mini quilt was born and I am crossing the Block of the Month off my list.

 

No comments: