Friday, February 26, 2021

Friday finish - Hel's Belles WI bag

 


I was the founding President of Hel's Belles WI on 21 October 2014. Our logo was designed by a member's sister and we have used it ever since. at some point I made a pennant to take to formal Island events and the test bock has remained in a drawer ever since.


 Fast forward to 2020 and I decided to make a bag for the current president using the block and the pattern for the Totes Amazeballs pattern by Angie Wilson from her book "Fussy Cutters Club". we love a bit of purple so I pulled out my small bag of purple scraps including many screen printed fabrics and added some achromatic fabrics into the mix.


I then made the slabs necessary for this huge bag and did improv by numbers (my own invention), when I get stuck I choose an improv technique and apply it to all of my sections. I then sourced some vinyl locally from Rachel's Textiles, then put it back in the drawer to mature.


I quilted the panels using alternate straight and wavy lines and used a more forgiving 1/2" eam allowance to put it all together. Angie suggested two lines of stitching on the handles but the wadding I used (retrieved from the floor) was very floofy so why use two rows of top stitching when you can use seven!! I love the end result.


Pat Sloan is encouraging her followers to bust those UFOs in the last half of February and I have completed two so far. I even found a piece of Ikea fabric to use for the lining in my labelled bags of backing. There's not enough left now for much more than a mini quilt so I have added it to my stash of low volume fabrics.



Next I need to dig out my knitted advent cushion to finish.

No comments: