Monday, November 20, 2023

Monday make - spice rack

 

Day 2 of Retreat from Home and it's now time to tackle a bigger project as in theory I have a whole day to complete the project. My plan had been to add a Sew Quirky applique to the outside of the Spice Rack pattern by Jess of Okla Roots. I was too enthusiastic and had cut out all of my pieces before I realised that I had planned to do the applique before cutting the denim cover. 

Plan 2 was to pinch a beautiful embroidered patch from my daughter's Sew Quirky mystery box. We share the contents and buy the boxes alternately.


I started with a interior fabric from Alison Glass from the basket on my work room floor and added all of the pink Ruby Star Society fabrics that I could. Several of the items including the embroidered patch, vegan leather, sparkly vinyl, label and zip were from various Mystery boxes. I am using previous boxes to store all of our continuous zippers in and another for the vegan leather.

The little 2.5" ruler I was gifted from a recent retreat, was very useful for marking the placement of the poppers and cutting the card holder.


I had purchased some premade bias tape locally, but I found this pink polka dot tape in my stash which goes well with all of the pinks. I am pleased with the finished product, the label holder could be a bit straighter!! I added two inches to the height of the pattern to be able to use it for my iPad mini but 1" would probably have suffice.



This was my only make from Day 2 of Retreat from Home as I had to visit a relative in hospital and make some call for her on my return home. We had a lovely evening at a restaurant we hadn't been to for a while but the weather was a bit wild again.


No comments: