Saturday, July 06, 2019

Elizabeth Hartman blocks

I have now finished using the Elizabeth Hartman blocks sewn during Gnome Angel’s sewalong from 2018. The sewalong was cancelled due to illness and I lost the enthusiasm. However Pat Sloan announced UFO Fridays last week so I dug out the last few blocks and put them on my design wall. During the week I added low volume strips to make the blocks into longer strips.

My design wall is so useful and a decent size. By Friday I had the bocks together and just added one last border around the whole piece. A simple swirls and circles design completed the piece on my long arm.

A rainbow stripe was the perfect binding and as the quilt is destined for a new born baby (not yet born), I was happy to use up the scrap of Basic Grey grunge in onyx as the backing.

 I made three other projects from my blocks:

Cat and hedgehog baby quilt

Cactus table runner

Awesome ocean baby quilt

Now that project is finished, I need to get another onto my design wall to make some progress.

Tuesday, July 02, 2019

Threadology finish

My last finish for the month / quarter was the Threadology BOM. I have been joining in with Amy Ellis's #onethingwithAmy challenge. It's great way to challenge yourself to get one thing done per week, big or small. I decided to finish this quilt last week. I had quilted it earlier in the week but stalled on a choice for the binding.

You can see that I decided not to make the quilt into the lovely spool of thread as I didn't need a bigger quilt. I think I will donate this one to Project Linus. I like a good strip for the binding but I want feeling the love. I used a white Kona together with some FQs from a FQ stack of V & Co's metallic ombre for Moda Fabrics. I ran out of some colours so just added more in. I seemed to end up with lots of pale pink blocks but I distributed them throughout the quilt top which seems to have worked.

A friend suggested gold as a binding on Instagram. I prefer silver to gold so resisted the suggestion, but I new it was a good suggestion. A quick trip down the road to Crafty Quilters and half a metre of Essex metallic linen by Robert Kaufman was in my hands. I wanted to get the binding ready by Saturday so I could hand sew it at a Jersey Modern quilt Group workshop on the Sunday. In the end I had just six inches left to stitch down when we adjourned for afternoon tea in the foyer of the Jersey Museum.

A lovely day spent with friends and I soon had the binding finished when I got home.

The backing is a little random but it was taken from stash so I made it work. 

Monday, July 01, 2019

Q3 Finish along

1. TQS BOM Sedona Star from Jan 2012. Not yet pieced together but progress was made in 2018.

. Tula Pink butterfly from October 2017. I need to move a few blocks and then quilt it.

3. My small world from 2016 which is pieced and partly quilted. This is the April project to finish for the APQS UFO challenge

4. Five impossible things

5. La Fin du Monde which I started as a quiltalong late 2018, but the background fabric got lost in the post, so progress stopped.

6. Tate Modern quilt which I need to start drafting again. I had made some templates but some were wrong and I might be able to use a circle ruler instead.

7. Miscellaneous Elizabeth Hartman blocks - three mini quilts finished so far from the stack of blocks.

8. Geeta Gamma globe   I have decided not to proceed with this project so I need to wash the background which is all marked up and recycle the pattern

8. #100days100 blocks - yes I had FOMO

9. HST BOM  - I want to keep up with the blocks each month and finish it in December

10. Tula Pink Hex on the beach - this is the project I was working on for the #the100dayproject so I should make good progress on this during the third quarter.

11. Oops I forgot the improv quilt from Poppyprint's class for London MQG.

12. Hoffman Dream Big Panel - I need to load this and practise my free motion quilting.

13. Tall tales sew along. Most of the blocks are made so should be an easyish finish for this quarter.

I have more projects planned on the go than I thought. However I now have no unfinished cross stitch projects, but I seem to have replaced them with knitting WIPs which I will list once this list reduces to under 10.