Monday, September 25, 2023

Monday make - mini charm cushion


During our recent Scottish tour, we visited Banchory on the way back from Ballater, near Balmoral. We had a lovely lunch and strolled down the High Street, found a great hardware store where we purchased a toilet brush as a joke gift for our daughter. I then spied Deeside Stitches on the opposite side of the road. I had to visit and sent my hubby back to the car park, so he didn't have to lurk. I had a lovely chat with the owner and bought a mini charm pack of Astra by Janet Clare.


I had an idea for a cushion for my son's new home and shades of blue are in his comfort zone. I paired the mini charm pack with some leftover denim blue fabric from a Stevie dress that I recently made. I should have starched this fabric within an inch of its life as it shifted and distorted no matter how carefully I handled it.


A clever friend once told me that she only makes cushion outers the size of a standard Ikea cushion inner. I'm hoping I've converted from centimetres to inches correctly!!

I quilted the cushion front with a pattern called fast feathers but should probably have chosen a blue of darker grey thread as the medium grey dominates.


I used some Cam snaps to close the cushion at the back.  I hope Matt likes it and that the cushion inner fits nicely. I have to make some wrist straps for Matt too, at his request, which will probably be a last-minute make before my hubby goes to visit him on 9 October. I also need to buy him some decent pillows as his are very thin. My hubby will take the car on the ferry so I can load it up with all manner of things.


 

No comments: