Monday, August 12, 2024

Monday make - Guild event

I took over as chair of Caesarea Quilters at the recent AGM. Instead of a demo, we did some brainstorming on what demonstrations members wanted in the coming year. One of the suggestions was to see how my long arm worked. A quick word with the outgoing chair and we decided to have an afternoon tea and long arm demo at my home last weekend. 


Small groups of members gathered around to see how I work and were hypnotised by the undulating pattern I'd chosen. I had quickly pieced together this quilt on Friday for a group challenge that I hadn't even started. I gave a few tips on preparing your quilt for quilting whether at home or on a longarm. 

  • Stay stitch around your whole quilt 1/8" from the outside edge. This is particularly important when you have bias edges on your quilt as this stabilises the whole piece.
  • Use a spray such as Flatter and press your quilt top and backing well.

As well as scones with jam and clotted cream, members brought a delicious array of home baked goodies. I rented a box of mixed vintage cups, saucers and plates. Yesterday we took leftover scones and banana and cherry loaf to my 96 year old father's flat and enjoyed afternoon tea with him. 

I have finished quilting the challenge piece this morning so plan to get it machine bound today as ell as visit my 94 year old aunt.


No comments: