Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Challenge quilt

Caesarea Quilters members have been challenged to make lap quilts for the elderly by a former quilt shop owner, Fiona. She has provided blocks and fabric to use in the quilt. Any blocks provided must be used.


I think I did well with the selection I was allocated as the colours all go together. I decided to do a strippy quilt and pieced the four lone star diamonds into a strip. 


I eliminated all of the small pieces from the selection provided and made up the width of the quilt with simple squares so as not to detract from the lovely piecing of the strips. 


There's nothing better than a tight deadline to force me to focus on a project and I pieced the quilt top on Friday, ready to use it to demonstrate my long arm on Saturday afternoon. I loaded the quilt and stitched out one row ready for the event on Saturday. On Monday morning, I finished the quilting quite quickly as it was only about 40" by 60" and I had chosen the simple pattern - Malachite. Anything busier would have distracted from the perfect piecing of the fancy strips (not my work!).


Finished and before the mid October deadline!


The leopard print backing also came in the pack of fabric as well as the tone on tone binding.


I even remembered to add a label into the binding.













No comments: