Monday, April 12, 2021

Monday make - By Annie Ultimate travel bag

 


Celebrating progress this morning and I have quilted a two yard piece of Tula Pink Hexy rainbow ready to make an By Annie ultimate travel bag. I love this new digital pantograph from Christy Dillon of My Creative Stitches and the texture when combined with the Bosal is just perfect for my project.










I have cut out the quilted pieces and contrasting fabric. It took me 90 minutes to cut out and stabilised the edges of the quilted fabric.


Unusually for me I'm working through the steps in the intended order!! You start with the straps cut from the contrasting fabric and then you insert webbing in any colour, I went for the cheapest option available, top stitch the edges and add the hardware. It's good to start with the straps as that uses a number of the pieces which can be overwhelming.


I've pinned all of the pieces to my design wall and grouped them by type with the description pinned to them. Next were the pockets for the outside from quilted fabric and mesh pockets for the inside. It was at this stage that I realised that I should have purchased two lengths of zipper and not one in purple so I have substituted a fuchsia continuous zipper tape instead. I could have ordered more or used silver, but I was in the zone and wanting to make more progress.


Next was adding the side pockets and the strap anchors to the side strip and I drew up the grid for the buttons used as feet on the bottom of the bag. I don't have any buttons and I also need to cut out the sleeve for the bottom of the bag which I'm going to cut out of the fairy dust rather than the grunge to keep the inside of the bag lighter.



Until I source some purple buttons, my pieces are pinned in an orderly manner to my design board ready for the next step. In the mean time I should probably cut the sleeve and bias binding. Though we are going to look at overlockers later so I might be lucky and find some ready made bias instead.







Thread: glide in colour grape from pinholequilting
Fabric: hexy rainbow and fairy dust by Tula Pink
Contrast fabric: Basic Grey grunge 108" wide in eggplant
Pantograph: don quixote by Christy Dillon
Bosal from @empressmills

No comments: