Monday, February 22, 2021

Monday make - Fraktal quilt


The sewalong came to an end last weekend and I have successfully finished my quilt. The quilt was designed by Paula Steele and kitted up by Modern Quilt Club at a good price. I knew that there was a lot of cutting to do and a lot of half square triangles and flying geese in the first two weeks so I cut the fabric out between Christmas and New Year. I muddled up two of the pinks so I had time to order another fat quarter and still be on track.


I stalled for a few days last week as having quilted and trimmed the quilt, I just couldn't decide on binding. I only had three options:
  • navy binding
  • navy binding with rainbow flange - who doesn't like a good flange
  • rainbow binding


Included in our kit were 2.5" width of fabric strips of each of the Libs Elliott rainbow fabrics. I don't usually use such wide strips for binding so I used a 3/8" seam allowance to sew the binding to the front of my quilt and that is the width of my walking foot to the inside of the foot. I then machine finished the binding using loads of Clover binding clips


I used a baptist fan digital pantograph to quilt the piece and I love how modern it looks despite being a traditional design


I have joined a free block of the week as I don't have much piecing to do at the moment. It's a small enough commitment that it will deter me from starting a more complicated project until some more UFOs have been finished.

No comments: