Monday, November 07, 2022

Monday review - MQC retreat


 


A week ago, I returned home from the Modern Quilt Club retreat in Cleckheaton at the Gomersal Park Hotel. Lisa has developed a successful formula for the twice-yearly events. My friend Gill and I have also developed a working plan too. I fly to Liverpool and Gill picks me up and drops me off at the Premier Inn on the Thursday afternoon. we have dinner together on Thursday night (my treat). Then at about 10.30am on Friday Gill texts me that she's on her way and I know to check out and she lives only a few miles away. We aim to arrive just before the start time of 12 but got caught up in motorway traffic this time so Yorkshire Gill and my daughter Lizzie bagged us our usual spot.

First thing to do is then check in with Lisa and pick up our lovely goody bag with gifts from Janome, Soak, Aurifil and Art Gallery Fabric. Time to catch up with stitchy friends before a buffet sandwich lunch at 1.

On our table were Helen, Yorkshire Gill, Liverpool Gill, Carol, my daughter Lizzie and me. Lisa was kind enough to loan Lizzie an overlocker so she stitched up multiple outfits and thoroughly enjoyed herself. She was a bit of a table hog though.


My brain was not in the right place on Friday and Saturday, so two projects were brought out and then shelved as I made mistakes. However, I did finish three blocks for the A Quilting Life sewalong and I've now finished the fourth so I'm up to date.


And I finished the tomato pin cushion block for the Sewology sewalong. I had drafted a FPP pattern for the leaf section of the tomato which worked well.


I also worked on my Mini series SAL with Alison Glass and Guicy Guice so I was able to post my photo of the completed blocks for the week by the Sunday midnight deadline.



I may have made a few purchases of Ruby Star Society from Olive & Flo Handcraft, one of which has been cut into for a sewology block.



On Saturday evening we played Aurifil bingo and Lizzie won a sample box of threads for being the first to get a line. On Sunday before lunch, we also had the raffle in which everyone wins a prize. This time there were lots of Fat Quarter Shop cross stitch prizes. My number was drawn before Lizzie's so she used my ticket to pick a pack of three Tula Pink fat quarters which were given to me to make something for her!! Later my ticket was drawn and the prize I wanted was still available, so I picked up two Lori Holt cross stitch patterns. The Sew Happy pattern has been kitted up ready for a hospital stay at the end of the month.

It was lovely to catch up with stitchy friends and be fed for the weekend. On Sunday we made the journey back to Liverpool and Gill dropped me off at the Premier Inn again. Lizzie was lucky t get flights to / from Aberdeen to Manchester on Friday morning and Sunday evening so no she didn't need to stay extra nights. I think Lizzie is now hooked. I doubt that I will be able to go to the March retreat but we are hoping that the October retreat will be achievable. It's good to have something to look forward to. 


No comments: