Monday, November 08, 2021

Retreat round up - Modern Quilt Club


It had been over two years since the last retreat at Gomersal Park near Leeds with Modern Quilt Club and everyone was so giddy with excitement. I did a lateral flow test before leaving Jersey as I didn't want to get stuck in the UK in isolation but we weren't asked to show them when we arrived. I did get a PCR test when arriving back in Jersey and was negative which was a great relief.




On arrival we were given a goody project bag which included very generous donations from Hantex, Helen Steele and Jane Egan Cresswell



And there was a second goody back from Vislene on our chair. I left the gridded interfacing with my friend Gill H, as she regularly uses that.
 


Over the Saturday and Sunday we played with a Cricut and screen printed under Helen Steele's watchful eye. My daughter loves the skulls that I printed so will keep that for her.


There was the usual hilarious Aurifil bingo on Saturday night and I won two spools of floss for a line and a Lori Holt book from the Sunday raffle. 


I did plenty of sewing over the weekend but wasn't my usual productive self, probably too busy chatting. I started the two minimalist wallets on Friday but soon gave up as the snaps weren't cooperating. Late Saturday night I realised I'd used the wrong fabric for the front pocket but substituted something from our goody bag and finished them both on Sunday.


On Friday night and Saturday I pieced two more ugly sweaters - pattern by Kid Giddy. Someone else was suing the same pattern but it didn't go well for Anne. The four blocks will be made into a tub and will be on my 2022 UFO list.


I also foundation pieced the October Seattle block from the ATW BOM. I ran out of fabric but managed to get enough from the selvedge of a screen printed panel from Helen. Disappointingly, the Kona Peacock had flaws which I noticed after I'd finished so I need to purchase another fat quarter and rectify the block.


There were two anonymous swaps over the weekend and I received a heart pinchushion from Chris and a cushion from Donna. I totally chose Donna's package because there was no cushion inner to fit in my suitcase.




I was lucky enough to receive some lovely gifts, in no particular order:
Neal's Yard travel set from Gill H for quilting two quilts
Aurifil thread from Gill R for Lizzie's overlocker, won in the raffle and I had totally forgotten I planned to choose that prize.
Two empty Aurifil boxes from Amy. One has been put into use already to store my Janome feet
Fabric from Chris' and Jackie's destashes

Roll on the 2022 retreats.

No comments: