Monday, November 15, 2021

Monday Make - skull cushion

 



I purchased this kit from Helen Steele at Modern Club Quilt retreat in October. Before going on the JMQG retreat I prepped the hexagons by gluing down the seam allowances with a glue stick.
 


At last week’s retreat I pinned the prepared hexagons to a Essex yarn-dyed linen fabric in Fog from Robert Kaufman. I used a silver 80 weight thread from Aurifil which matched the background fabric well and isn’t over powering on the hexagons. I quilted the whole panel so as to secure the seam allowances down. I hadn’t taken my large 20.5 inch ruler to retreat so I was only able to trim the panel to 18.5 inches once I was home.


I finished the back of the cushion with five cam snaps in Aqua. They are so much easier to set than the metal prim snaps for me. I overlapped the back by an inch and stitched around the whole cushion, trimmed the corners and turned the project inside out.


There were a lot of quilt tops finished at retreat so I need to start doing some customer quilts this week to stay on top of the ones that are due to be dropped off for long arming.





No comments: