Friday, November 12, 2021

Retreat Round up - Jersey Modern Quilt Group (JMQG)

 


Last weekend was our local group's retreat at a youth activity centre. Thirteen of us enjoyed sewing all day without having to cook or answer the phone. The accomodation is not luxurious but everyone had their own bunk room as some ladies prefer to go home and sleep in their own bed.



After unloading our cars and setting up the classroom as our studio for the weekend, the first task was to open our goodie bags which contained delights from Aurifil, Sew Hot, Empress Mills and Hantex. I used some of the new Bosal wadding and a fat quarter of fabric on a retreat project.


I started the easiest project first which was to stitch together the fourth Free Block Friday by @gnomeangel which I had time to cut out last Friday before heading to retreat.


My next project was to attach and quilt my hexagon skulls from a kit by Helen Steele. I used an Aurifil 80 weight thread which matched the Essex Dyed linen background (from Sew Hot) perfectly. I hadn't taken my large square ruler so packed the panel away to finish later.



If it's Friday night, it must be bingo night. I won four small prizes on Friday including a very useful colour wheel. we had two games of Kerplunk on Saturday night which wasn't popular so we reverted to Bingo again.



My Saturday project was to finish the block for the Spooky Sampler by Melissa Mortenson. I had appliqued the spiders and bat the previous week, so only had two broom blocks to piece.



By dinner time on Saturday I had a completed quilt top, which was packed away ready to quilt in December probably. I have some orange backing still left which will be perfect.


On Sunday, I worked on foundation paper piecing the Taj Mahal block for the ATW BOM. I made some progress and finished the piecing on Tuesday. I was too tired on Monday to do much at all!! A brilliant weekend with lovely food from Laura and very productive. I think I have three quilts which will be coming to me to be long armed including one which has already been delivered.

The tickets for the next Modern Quilt Club in June 2022 go on sale on Sunday evening so I will have something to look forward to as we can't yet book Crabbe for 2022 for a local retreat.


No comments: