Monday, July 24, 2023

Monday make - scrappy baskets

 

The obvious thing to do when you're overwhelmed is to start another project (s). I spotted that The Crafty Nomad was running a mini quiltalong to make scrappy baskets. This was to introduce The Quilt Hive to a wider audience. I liked the website, and the bite size pieces that the classes are broken into. In the Quilt Hive, there were extra sizes for the basket. Challenge accepted.

I might have mentioned, just once or twice, that my daughter and I are going to the Festival of Quilts in ten days' time, so I thought I'd make one of each size for Lizzie. Not that I don't have other gifts for her already.

The smallest basket included a piece of fabric from her going to university quilt. It was like a memory basket as there are favourite scraps from Tula Pink, Sweetwater, Lou Summers and Carolyn Friedlander. when I went to get some striped fabric from my dedicated binding box, I found a black and white scrappy binding that Lizzie had pieced together for her lockdown quilt which was displayed at the 2021 Festival of Quilts. Perfect.



The second basket also included fabrics from Aneela Hoey, Ruby Star Society and Karen Lewis. Some of the fabrics, I have no idea where they came from.



I came across the Measure Twice, Cut Once selvedge in my Ruby Star Society scrap bag and I had to use it in the largest basket.  In this basket there's also some V&Co and Lori Holt fabrics.

I think it's a lovely set which nests very nicely, and I hope Lizzie will like them. whether she has room in her suitcase for her purchases and gifts is debatable, but stuff can always be left with her brother who lives in Warwick.



No comments: