Friday, August 25, 2023

Vinyl boxy pouch


I purchased a mystery bag making box from Studio7T7 for my daughter for her birthday in June. It included pineapple themed items including iridescent vinyl, zipper tape and zipper pulls along with same lovely summery labels. Lizzie then gave me half of her box when I saw her earlier in the month. My job was to work out how to make the items into a boxy vinyl pouch and I'm pleased to say it was a success. 

we cut the vinyl in half so we ended up with a rectangle about 13" by 12" but you can use any measurements you want. I'm going to let you know our approach which was very simple. Put your zipper pull on the zipper tape. Cut the tape longer than the size of the vinyl so that you have wiggle room. 

We attached the zipper tape to the right side of the vinyl with two rows of stitches. We used black thread for this to match the zipper tape. I used a Sewline glue pen to stick the vinyl to the back of the zipper tape but Lizzie used Clover clips. Don't forget if you want to add a label under the zipper tape to do it now, I basted it to the zipper tape before attaching the zip to the vinyl. Repeat for the second side making sure the ends match and move the zipper pull out of the way. I used a Teflon foot but that wasn't essential.


Then turn the vinyl inside out, fold the vinyl with the zipper tape at the top and gently mark the halfway point. Match the zipper tape to the mark and stitch along both sides, going slowly over the zip. I changed to a white thread for this part and the thread is almost invisible. Keep in mind to trim any loose threads as you go along. For my second version I used a seam allowance of about 3/8" which I preferred to the 1/4" seam.


Now it's time to box the bottom of the pouch. Draw a 1" box onto the four corners of the pouch. It is 1" from the fold of the vinyl and 1" from the seam you've just sewn. I used a thin Sharpie marker and a pair of scissors for this. Stitch each corner by pinching the edges together and I folded the seam allowance away from the zip.

I think they turned out really well for just winging it and all I had to add to my half of the kit was one black zipper pull to make two pouches.



No comments: